400TX

Unsolicited editorials on cameras, lenses, film, developer, and black and white photography in general.

My Photo
Name:
Location: New Orleans, Louisiana, United States

Friday, July 21, 2006

TRI-X in Panthermic 777

We all knew that there would be no surprises here. When the favorite developer of many past photojournalists used on the favorite film of most past photojournalists, would we expect bad results? Still, TRI-X has been reformulated in recent years, so why not shoot a test roll?

I shot this at the nominal ISO 400 under marginal lighting conditions (fluorescent lighting in a coffee shop at 7:00 A.M.). I souped in Panthermic 777 at 75oF. The results were nice grays and well-controlled grain. If the highlights in Glenda’s face are not sharp, I was shooting at f/2.0 and 1/60. The important thing is that this combination looks good, and I’m going to continue using it with TRI-X until something else looks better.